At St Anne’s Catholic Primary School we are committed to providing all children with learning opportunities to engage in art and design.
The purpose of Art and Design education is to give pupils the skills, concepts and knowledge necessary for them to express their responses to ideas and experiences in a visual or tactile form. It fires their imagination and is a fundamental means of personal expression.
While it is essentially a practical subject, art should provide opportunities for reflection and, with increasing sensitivity, pupils should acquire the ability to make informed, critical responses to their own work and that of others.
There is great pleasure to be derived from Art and Design and, through deeper understanding; pupils can gain access to cultural richness and diversity. The appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts enriches all our lives.
• To enable all children to have access to a varied range of high quality art experiences.
• To provide an imaginative, innovative and co-ordinated art programme which will foster enthusiasm for art and design amongst all the children.
• To foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers, through links with the local and wider multicultural community.
• To stimulate children’s creativity and imagination by providing visual, tactile and sensory experience.
• To help children explore the world at first hand, using all their senses and experimentation, and so gain knowledge and understanding of the world in which they live.
• To develop children’s understanding of colour, form, texture, pattern and their ability to use materials and processes to communicate ideas, feelings and meanings.
• To inspire confidence, value and pleasure in art.
• To cultivate children’s aesthetic awareness and enable them to make informed judgements about art and become actively involved in shaping environments.
• To teach children to express their own ideas, feelings, thoughts and experiences.
• To develop children’s design capability.
• To enhance children’s ability to value the contribution made by artists, craft workers and designers and respond critically and imaginatively to ideas, images and objects.