Read, Write, INC
At St Anne's we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their phonics and reading. RWI is a method of learning centred round letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their early reading and writing.
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences
Click on the image to go to the Ruth Miskin Read Write Inc website.
To know more about Set 1, Set 2 and Set 3 sounds and words click on the links:
UPDATE: 23.3.2020 Reading and Phonics whilst Learning from Home
We want children in our schools to continue learning to read and have familiar routines during this difficult time for families. I am delighted to announce…
Daily virtual lessons for children
Click on the link for Read Write Inc Youtube Channel
Click on the link below for the Read Write Inc Facebook Group
From Monday 23rd March we’re scheduling Read Write Inc. Phonics lessons on Facebook and YouTube for children to watch at home.
We will release three short Speed Sound lessons with one of our trainers every day for the next two weeks. The films will only be available at the times below:
- Set 1 Speed Sounds at 9.30 am and again at 12.30 pm
- Set 2 Speed Sounds at 10.00 am and again at 1.00 pm
- Set 3 Speed Sounds at 10.30 am and again at 1.30 pm
Please note: the films are streamed live and won’t be available at other times.
We’re also releasing a film of a poem for Reception and Year 1 children to join in with at 2.00 pm every day. The poems will be available on YouTube to watch again and again.
A great opportunity for children to learn these by heart!